Monday, May 19, 2008

clarity



Happy Monday to you.
Here is one of the photos I took yesterday of the tree. The tree project "the 20th year" has really evolved for me. I can't believe that it will be over in 3 months.
Well, at that point it will be time to start printing which will be an entirely new project to dive into. Still considering encaustic wax for these babies. but we will see how things play out. One thing that happened while working on this project - is a series within the series. There is a new body of work of the tree - taken with my pinhole camera - with black and white polaroid- that has a completely different feel than these do. And equally important to the series.

I'm thinking again about the importance of living with clarity rather then vagueness.
When I am vague it is a little like being drunk. I don't really know what it will take to create the project I have in mind, I am just acting on emotions and doing things because I feel I have to.

When I am living in clarity, I know exactly what it is going to take, I have a plan and I take one step at a time and don't worry about getting to the finish line in a certain period of time. It isn't a race.

quote for the day:

" Resistance outwits the amateur with the oldest trick in the book: It uses his own enthusiasm against him. Resistance gets us to plunge into a project with an overambitious and unrealistic timetable for its completion. It knows we can't sustain that level of intensity. We will hit a wall. We will crash.
The Professional, on the other hand, understands delayed gratification. He is the ant, not the grasshopper; the tortoise, not the hare."....

..." The professional arms himself with patience, not only to give the stars time to align in his career, but to keep himself from flaming out in each individual work. he knows that any job, whether it's a novel or a kitchen remodel, takes twice as long as he thinks and costs twice as much. He accepts that. He recognizes it as reality. "
-Steven Pressman, The War of Art page 75