Thursday, March 20, 2008

Resistance is invisible





"Resistance cannot be seen, touched, heard, or smelled. But it can be felt. We experience it as an energy field radiating from a work-in-potential. It's a repelling force. It's negative. It's aim is to shove us away, distract us, prevent us from doing our work. "
pg. 7 from " The War of Art " by Steven Pressfield

***

I'm working on so many projects right now that I decided today would be a day to take a deep breath, de-clutter my desk, my kitchen, my office, and get my space into working order.....all while thinking about my artwork and the themes that tie all the different bodies of work together. I'm writing a new artist's statement. I have 9 framed pieces ( one of them you see here ) that I am getting prepped for a solo show. I love these pieces. Fragments of my life. Minneapolis, Portland, Ashland, all represented through these photographic "maps" of where I was at the particular time in my life. I've been writing down phrases and words to describe the work. I'm obsessed and also feel invigorated by the energy of getting back in there and figuring it out.
reminds me of the frame of mind I was in during art school. I think I was dreaming all night about my new series of photographs, and I was trying to figure it out, what are they? Why are they? etc. I woke up and rushed over to my pad of paper and wrote out a few key words that really summed it up. Man did I miss this. the digging, searching, researching, pulling apart, discovering, looking, piecing together, and creating. I feel like a detective searching for clues. I'm in love with making my work. And I am in love with watching my husband make his work. It's a busy house these days. We are both working out solutions for our photographs for upcoming shows. and yes I do feel the resistance seeping in and out of my creative flow. Learning to work with it so I can keep moving forward.