Wednesday, March 19, 2008

resistance's greatest hits




ok - so I love this image of the tree - but would love to hear if you are more attracted to the black and white image or the color image. I like both for different reasons.

***

Got a new book called the War of Art by Steven Pressfield.

It was recommended to me last night at a writing class I am taking with Al Watt. yes the same Al that I took a headshot of a few months back.

I am working on a book project and I've never written one before so I figured it was time for some outside assistance. So far I am blown away. BLOWN. This class is incredible. Life changing.

I'm inspired by it and want to pass on some things inside that book I just picked up so here goes:

from pages 5&6:

The following is a list, in no particular order, of those activities that most commonly elicit Resistance:

1. the pursuit of any calling in writing, painting, music, film, dance, or any creative art, however marginal or unconventional.

2. The launching of any entrepreneurial venture or enterprise, for profit or otherwise.

3. Any diet or health regimen.

4. Any program of spiritual advancement.

5. Any Activity whose aim is tighter abdominals.

6. Any course or program designed to overcome an unwholesome habit or addiction.

7. Education of every kind.

8. Any act of political, moral, ethical courage, including the decision to change for the better some unworthy pattern of thought or conduct in ourselves.

9. the undertaking of any enterprise or endeavor whose aim is to help others.

10. Any act that entails commitment of the heart. The decision to get married, to have a child, to weather a rocky patch in relationship.

11. The taking of any principled stand in the face of adversity.

In other words, any act that rejects immediate gratification in favor of long-term growth, health, or integrity. Or, Expressed another way, any act that derives from our higher nature instead of our lower. Any of these will elicit Resistance.

Now: what are the characteristics of Resistance?

***
Check in tomorrow for more....!