Tuesday, May 06, 2008

The Next Step



Last night I started a new class at Julia Dean called the Next Step. Aline Smithson is the instructor. I am a huge fan of hers and excited about the class. I already feel inspired to make new work, update my website, get back into the darkroom ( yes the darkroom ) and make prints of the "Sacrament" series. I can tell this class is going to be good!

On another note, I just started teaching one on one photography instruction and it has been really rewarding for me. On Thursday I had the privilege to go out to Rancho Mirage and meet with someone who wanted to understand f/stops. I could see her struggling to get depth of field and then at one point the "light bulb" went off and she got it. Both of us got goose bumps. It was thrilling. I am looking forward to teaching her shutter speeds next.

My Sacred Sight workshop is coming up May 16th-18th here in Los Angeles. There are still spaces open. Come join us! We are coming together to get more focused on our authentic point of view, rather then on the technical stuff, so if you want to give yourself the gift of a weekend to explore the world with your camera - we would love to have you along!

You can find out more about it on my website

***
Quote for the day:

" The position of the artist is humble. He is essentially a channel."
- Piet Mondrian


" the kabbalah describes angels as bundles of light, meaning intelligence, consciousness. Kabbalists believe that above every blade of grass is an angel crying " Grow! Grow!" I'll go even further. I believe that above the entire human race is one super-angel, crying "Evolve! Evolve!"
- Steven Pressfield - The War of Art page 123.
( ps. get this book! )