Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Ideas



I'm starting to feel that tug of inspiration to get my hands dirty with art projects while I'm creating this little bean - I'm about 14 weeks along now and am starting to have a tiny bit more energy.

Printmaking, drawing, painting, and pinhole photography are all buzzing to make an appearance again in my daily activities.

For my birthday I found a box of Polaroid Type 79 and have a pinhole camera project in mind that I plan on starting today. Since Polaroid is no longer making Polaroid - it was a real treat to find this box. Even the guy at the camera store was jealous of me when I bought it. It was the last box they had. Using a product that is no longer made feels like I am using something so sacred. like a lost artifact that was once a prized object in a culture from the past. But it is my past and my photo work that is shifting as a result of the end of this products life......believe me when I say it is hard to use it now because it is so rare and prized. I am actually saving my last sheet of unused Polaroid type 54 and framing it!

anyhow....

I stopped by Keri Smith's website today and found a list of 100 ideas. This just made me giggle. Some of these ideas are so great and out of the ordinary for me. I thought I'd share 40 of them with you. There is a link here to the rest of the list. you should check it out. She just had a baby and is still finding ways to be the creative artist she always has been. She inspires me.
This list makes me feel like taking a bubble bath, put on my favorite clothing, and heading to the park with a bag of creative tools: like a journal, double sided tape, paints, pens, crayons, an orange, some water, my iphone to take photos with, a blanket to lay on, a book to read, and a smile!

Keri Smith's 100 ideas
ideas
1. Go for a walk. Draw or list things you find on the the sidewalk.
2. Write a letter to yourself in the future.
3. Buy something inexpensive as a symbol for your need to create, (new pen, a tea cup, journal). Use it everyday.
4. Draw your dinner.
5. Find a piece of poetry you respond to. Rewrite it and glue it into your journal.
6. Glue an envelope into your journal. For one week collect items you find on the street.
7. Expose yourself to a new artist, (go to a gallery, or in a book.) Write about what moves you about their work.
8. Find a photo of a person you do not know. Write a brief bio about them.
9. Spend a day drawing only red things.
10. Draw your bike.
11. Make a list of everything you buy in the next week.
12. Make a map of everywhere you went in one day.
13. Draw a map of the creases on your hand, (knuckles, palm)
14. Trace your footsteps with chalk.
15. Record an overheard conversation.
16. Trace the path of the moon in relation to where you live.
17. Go to a paint store. Collect 'chips' of all your favorite colors.
18. Draw your favorite tree.
19. Take 15 minutes to eat an orange.
20. Write a haiku.
21. Hang upside down for five minutes.
22. Hang found objects from tree branches.
23. Make a puppet.
24. Create an outdoor room from things you find in nature.
25. Read a book in one day.
26. Illustrate your grocery list.
27. Read a story out loud to a friend.
28. Write a letter to someone you admire.
29. Study the face of someone you do not like.
30. Make a meal based on a color theme. (i.e. all white).
31. Creat a museum of very small things.
32. List the smells in your neighborhood.
33. List 100 uses for a tin can.
34. Fill an entire page in your jounral with small circles. Color them in.
35. Give away something you love.
36. Choose an object, draw the side you can't see.
37. List all of the places you've ever lived.
38. Describe your favourite room in detail.
39. Write about your relationship with your washing machine.
40. Draw all of the things in your purse/bag.

***

Quote for the day:

" Just love yourself and do it! "
- Luis Canalas - My triathlon coach
(yelling this while we learned how to swim in the ocean and then bike and then after all that....run.)